- The tentative schedule is as follows:
- Monday, Feb. 25th, 6:30-8:00 pm, Burns 506 (Faculty Library)
- Monday, Mar. 11th, 6:30-8:00 pm, Burns 506 (Faculty Library)
- Monday, April 15th, 6:30-8:00 pm, Burns 506 (Faculty Library)
Please download the materials here.
- First meeting
- Please read Doc 6 (the Edwards article). We will discuss Case 1 in that article. Note that the cases are discussed in the article and translated in full in an appendix at the end. The original Chinese text is in Doc 1 (chinesematerials1.pdf), all pages of which I have numbered on the bottom right in circles. Case #1 is on p. 1 (my numbering). Relevant statutory materials appears after the cases, on p. 16. The text of the relevant code provision and commentary in the 读例存疑 (a famous commentary on the Qing code) starts on p. 42. In the first meeting, we will locate these texts within the operation of the Qing bureaucracy and start learning how to read them.
- Second meeting
- In the first meeting, we covered cases 1 and 4. This time, we will look at cases 5, 9, and 10.